We take very seriously any efforts to defraud our customers, especially using our company's good customer relationships and reputation. If you think you are being targeted, keep the following in mind.
- NPPD does not go door-to-door demanding payment.
- The scammer's caller identification may be falsified so it appears to originate from our utility company, a practice known as 'spoofing.'
- NPPD does not call to ask customers for a credit card number or demand payment with a pre-paid card. Any customer receiving such a call should not attempt to make payment over the phone using a credit or debit card.
- Write down the call back number or consider asking where the caller is located.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from NPPD and feel pressured for immediate payment or personal information, HANG UP and call our Customer Contact Center at 1-877-ASK-NPPD (275-6773) to check the status of your account.
- If you receive a scam call, NPPD's Corporate Security Department may contact you for further information. If you are uncomfortable upon receiving the call, simply hang up and call 1-877-ASK-NPPD (275-6773) and we will put in touch with Corporate Security.
- Contact law enforcement.
- Contact the Nebraska Attorney General at (402) 471-2682.
- Register all personal or professional phone numbers with the National Do Not Call Registry at 1-888-382-1222.