Vegetation Management Program
Nebraska Public Power District has a deep and long-standing respect for our natural environment. Our vegetation management program balances a customer’s need for reliable energy with respect for the environment. Our goals are to:
- Comply with all applicable laws and federal regulations
- Keep the state’s electric grid safe and reliable
- Minimize adverse environmental impacts
- Manage vegetation safely and economically
- Keep customers informed about activities near or on their property
- Respect property owner’s rights
- Encourage the safe planting of compatible trees
NPPD’s Vegetation Management Practices
NPPD’s policy is to remove trees and other woody-stemmed vegetation within the transmission system lines (higher voltage) right-of-way, as well as tall-growing trees located outside the right-of-way that could interfere with the continuous safe operation of the electric system. In many cases, this has meant removing trees in areas where they may have been trimmed in the past.
- Remove all trees, regardless of height, to edge of the right-of-way.
- Remove woody invasive species and other brush that my impede access for maintenance crews.
- Apply herbicides to minimize growth.
- Trim or remove dead, dying, diseased or leaning trees that threaten the safe and reliable operation of the transmission system.