Indoor Safety

Electricity is an efficient and helpful servant. Nebraska Public Power District urges you to use it safely. Here are some things to remember when using electricity in your home:

  • Look for a label from a recognized safety testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) when purchasing electric appliances or tools.
  • Read safety instructions before operating a new electric appliance.
  • Keep all equipment clean and in good repair.
  • Never leave irons or other heating appliances plugged in when not in use.
  • Never insert metal objects into toasters or electric space heaters.
  • Unplug appliances before cleaning, removing parts or when they are not in use.
  • Keep children away from portable space heaters.
  • Tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses indicate overloaded circuits. Have an electrician check wiring and/or add additional circuits.
  • A blown fuse will have a broken metal strip on its top. Replace the fuse with a new one marked with the correct amperage. If you have a circuit breaker instead of fuses, reset them from “off” to “on.”
  • Do not destroy or bypass safety switches or guards found on power tools.
  • Never touch an electric appliance when you are in the tub or shower.
  • If an appliance falls into water, unplug the appliance before retrieving it.
  • Never submerge electric appliances in water unless the instructions say you can.
  • Place radios or televisions so they cannot be touched while using water.
  • Avoid using hair dryers and curling irons near water.
  • Practice the habit (and teach your children) to turn off lights and appliances when you leave the room or your home.
  • Keep extension cords away from moisture, heat, or metal pipes. Never put them under rugs.

 

In case of an electrical fire:

  • Call the fire department. Even if you think the fire is small and you can contain it yourself, it’s better to be safe and have the professionals on their way. Be sure to tell them it’s an electrical fire so they can be prepared.
  • Shut off the main breakers to the house. Be sure your hands are not wet and the fire is not close to the breaker box before attempting this.
  • Small fires can usually be extinguished with a multipurpose fire extinguisher, class “C” electrical fire extinguisher, or baking soda. Never use water.
  • Get out of the house and wait for help to arrive. If you have no means to fight the fire yourself or if it’s large or spreading quickly, it’s best to leave the premises before the fire prevents you from leaving.

 

If someone is shocked:

  • For your safety, do not touch the individual if they are still in contact with the power structure. If possible, turn off the power at the control panel, then call 9-1-1 and tell them it is an electrical injury.
  • If the victim is away from the power source and not breathing, apply cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), if you know how. The, cover the victim with a blanket, keep their head low, and get medical attention.
  • If you do not know CPR, ask your local hospital or Red Cross where and when the classes are given.